Thursday, October 22, 2015

An AC current is driven around a loop of wire. Suppose the amplitude and frequency of the current are both doubled. By what factor does the power radiated by the antenna increase?

This is a magnetic dipole. A magnetic dipole in a vacuum radiates an average power by the following relation.
ltPgt =(mu_0 m_0^2 omega^4)/(12 pi c^3)
mu_0 is the magnetic permeability of a vacuum, m_0 is the average magnetic dipole moment, omega is the angular frequency, and c is the speed of light.
First we know that m_0=Ia , where I is the current and a is the area of the loop. We want to know (< P_f >) / (< P_i >) .
()/()=(mu_0 I_f^2 a^2 omega_f^4)/(12 pi c^3)*(12 pi c^3)/(mu_0 I_i^2 a^2 omega_i^4)=(I_f omega_f^4)/(I_i omega_i^4)
Plug in the changes between the final and initial configurations.
()/()=(I_f^2 omega_f^4)/(I_i^2 omega_i^4)=((2I_i)^2 (2omega_i)^4)/(I_i^2 omega_i^4)=2^6
The antenna radiates 2^6 times more power than initially.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the fact that the Americans are helping the Russians important?

In the late author Tom Clancy’s first novel, The Hunt for Red October, the assistance rendered to the Russians by the United States is impor...