Friday, April 13, 2018

How can you prove Abigail is immoral and unchristian? What is a quotation to support this argument?

In the story, Abigail has the character of a villain. She puts other people at risk in order to save herself. When pressed about dancing in the forest by Parris, she blames Tituba.

Abigail: She comes to me every night to go and drink blood!
Tituba: You beg me to conjure! She beg me make charm

She falsely accuses Sarah Good, Goody Osburn, and Bridget Bishop of witchcraft.

I saw Sarah Good with the Devil! I saw Goody Osburn with the Devil! I saw Bridget Bishop with the Devil!

Abigail is questioned about her discharge from duties at the Proctor home. She insists that her reputation is not tainted despite Elizabeth discovering the illicit affair between her and her husband. Abigail tells her uncle that Elizabeth hates her and that is the reason she fired her.

Abigail: She hates me, uncle; she must, for I would not be her slave. It’s a bitter woman, a lying, cold, sniveling woman, and I will not work for such a woman!

However, when Abigail is left alone with John, she reminds him of their relationship and tries to rekindle it. Proctor tries to resist her suggestion, but Abigail insists.

Abigail: I know how you clutched my back behind your house and sweated like a stallion whenever I come near! Or did I dream that? It’s she put me out, you cannot pretend it were you. I saw your face when she put me out, and you loved me then and you do now!

Abigail accuses Elizabeth of witchcraft by sending the court orderlies to search the Proctor house for a poppet given to Elizabeth by Mary. Abigail suggests that Elizabeth used the poppet to bewitch her.

She sat to dinner in Reverend Parris’s house tonight, and without word nor warnin’ she falls to the floor. Like a struck beast, he says, and screamed a scream that a bull would weep to hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the fact that the Americans are helping the Russians important?

In the late author Tom Clancy’s first novel, The Hunt for Red October, the assistance rendered to the Russians by the United States is impor...