Wednesday, October 17, 2018

What is revealed about Rikki-tikki's character based on his conversation with Chuchundra?

The conversation between Rikki-tikki and Chuchundra isn't long or deep, but I think it reveals two specific things about Rikki-tikki.
The first thing the conversation reveals about Rikki-tikki is that he is a picky predator. In reality, a mongoose hunts a variety of prey, but in Kipling's story, Rikki-tikki is only concerned about hunting snakes. I believe Rikki-tikki hunts snakes in the story because he sees them as a threat to himself and his friends. Chuchundra isn't a threat to Rikki-tikki, so Rikki-tikki thinks Chuchundra's fears are unwarranted.  

"Don't kill me," said Chuchundra, almost weeping. "Rikki-tikki, don't kill me!"
"Do you think a snake-killer kills muskrats?" said Rikki-tikki scornfully.

The second thing the conversation reveals about Rikki-tikki is that he is not afraid to use physical pain to extract information.

"I didn't—so you must tell me. Quick, Chuchundra, or I'll bite you!"

Rikki-tikki just finished admitting that he has no intention of killing Chuchundra; however, he isn't afraid of hurting Chuchundra to get the information that he needs. I believe this exchange shows that Rikki-tikki believes the end justifies the means.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the fact that the Americans are helping the Russians important?

In the late author Tom Clancy’s first novel, The Hunt for Red October, the assistance rendered to the Russians by the United States is impor...