Friday, August 17, 2018

How is Charlie showing signs of anger after the surgery?Please include page reference quotes.

Daniel Keyes first wrote "Flowers for Algernon" as a short story, published in 1959. It appeared in many magazines and was expanded into a full-length novel in 1966. Since that time, it has never been out of print. Considering it's long publishing history and many editions, it wouldn't be helpful to give you accurate page numbers for references unless you happened to have the exact same edition I have, which is unlikely. I will give you the references according to progress report dates, which will be a better way to find them. Charlie Gordon narrates the story, and it is set up as a series of progress reports written by him and detailing his progress before and after the operation. 
Charlie Gordon begins the book as a happy-go-lucky man who believes he has a lot of friends, likes his job, and wants to be smart. He receives an operation that is supposed to triple his intelligence. This causes him to understand the world in ways he never has before. He realizes that Joe Carp and Frank Reilly, from the factory where he works, are not really his friends. He sees the decline in Algernon, the mouse who also receives operation, and understands that he will decline, as well. 
The first indication readers have that Charlie is becoming angry is in Progress Report 11, dated April 22nd. He has to repeat the Rorschach Inkblot test and is suspicious that the test administrator is making fun of him or hiding something from him. 

 "Maybe it was just a trick to see if I was dumb enough to look for something that wasn't there. Just thinking about that made me sore at him. 'All right, Charlie,' he said, 'you've seen these cards before, remember?' 'Of course I remember.' The way I said it, he knew I was angry, and he looked surprised. 'Yes, of course. Now I want you to look at this one. What might this be? What do you see on this card? People see all sorts of things in these inkblots. Tell me what it might be for you-what it makes you think of.'"

In Progress Report 12, May 18th, he is showing signs of anger, because he is once again having trouble relating to people. He had trouble before the operation for a different reason, and now he has trouble because he has far surpassed everyone around him in intelligence. Here is a quote:

"I am very disturbed. I saw Miss Kinnian last night for the first time in over a week. I tried to avoid all discussions of intellectual concepts and to keep the conversation on a simple, everyday level, but she just stared at me blankly and asked me what I meant about the mathematical variance equivalent in Dorbermann's Fifth Concerto. .IJ When I tried to explain she stopped me and laughed. I guess I got angry, but I suspect I'm approaching her on the wrong level. No matter w~at I try to discuss with her, I am unable to communicate."

Later on, he encounters another mentally challenged young man and becomes angry at people's reactions to the man's mistakes, including his own reaction. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the fact that the Americans are helping the Russians important?

In the late author Tom Clancy’s first novel, The Hunt for Red October, the assistance rendered to the Russians by the United States is impor...