Monday, March 26, 2018

Could someone pick out 25 important quotations from the play and write a 2–3 sentence analysis for each? Thank you.

Don Juan: Skip the extraordinary idea, it’s well known to me, as to who in the space of a year, could do more harm with more good luck, Juan Tenorio or Luis Mejia.This quote explains the bet that Don Luis and Don Juan made a year ago. Their intention was to do harm—not just to have fun or seduce women. The bet required that they both seduce women and murder men. This villainous bet is the action that causes Don Juan's father and future father-in-law to see that he is not a good man.
Don Gonzalo: I should like to see without them seeing me or being recognized.
Don Gonzalo is the father of Don Juan's intended bride. He decides that he wants to know what kind of man Don Juan is and sneaks into the place where the two Dons will discuss their bet after a year. He listens and is horrified to see what kind of man Don Juan really is.
Don Juan: Bah. I’ll satisfy you doubly, since I tell you that, just for fun, I’ll add a friend’s lady to the novice nun whom he’s about to marry.
Even after he has won the bet, Don Juan decides he does not want to have an incomplete list of the types of women he has slept with. Don Luis tells him he needs a novice from a convent. He adds in a friend's lady, which leads to him seducing Don Luis's fiancee.
Don Gonzalo: Don’t think now of Dona Ines. For rather than consent that she marry you, by God, I swear it’s true, I’d make sure to the grave she went.
Don Gonzalo foreshadows the death of Dona Ines when he says this. If he agreed to let her marry Don Juan, everyone might have lived. However, his refusal results in his death, Don Juan's exile, and Ines's death as well.
Don Luis: I don’t know what strange foreboding, what disastrous change my afflicted soul is fearing. By God, I never really thought I would love Ana so or feel for anyone though what I feel for her.
Don Luis realizes too late that he loves his fiancee. If he had realized it before, he might not have made the bet with Don Juan.
Dona Ana: Oh! Sleep in peace, Don Luis, his audacity and prudence will never succeed with me, for I’ve settled on you, you see, the glory of my existence.
Dona Ana reaffirms that she loves Luis and has no intention of sleeping with Don Juan. Of course, she cannot know then that he is willing to trick her to win the bet.
Brigida: I spoke to her of love, of the world of pleasures, the court, how gallant you are, how prodigious a talent you possess with women. I told her you were the man chosen for her by her father, and I have painted you rather as dying for her love.
Don Juan enlists the help of Brigida, Ines's servant, to help him appear in a good light. She primes Ines to fall in love with Don Juan. Ines has spent her entire life in a convent and is completely unaware of her potential fiance's real character.
Ciutti: It’s an undertaking fit only for such a man. But, devil take it, it’s as if fortune is always with him, chained at his feet while chance sleeps in submission.
Don Juan's servant Ciutti sees him as he is for the first time as they work out the plan for Don Juan to sleep with Ana and kidnap Ines. He explains Don Juan's character—he is lucky enough to get away with things that other people would be in trouble for.
Ines: Let’s leave here . . . I can go to my father’s house.
Ines showcases her virtue when, waking in the home of the man she loves, she immediately wants to go to her father's house. Of course, her servant convinces her that she cannot go.
Ines: I have never left the cloister, but I’m noble, Brigida: I have honor and I know, by every creed, that Don Juan’s house for me is no good place to be.
Ines is innocent, but she is also self-aware. She has the innate feeling that the house she is in is not right for her. It foreshadows what happens later when her father comes to take her back.
Don Juan: Mejia, please tell me how I can satisfy your honor. I won the wager fairly, but if it has pained you so, if there’s some answer you know, I’ll apply the remedy.
Don Juan apologizes and tries to make amends for the first time. He recognizes that he hurt his friend—a person he might actually care about.
Don Luis: You’re not the winner, Don Juan, since you acted as me in the game.
Don Juan pretended to be Luis to sleep with Ana. Luis makes the point that he had to be himself to win and, thus, lost the bet.
Don Juan: Comendador, I idolize Dona Ines, persuaded that Heaven intended to grant her to me, to lead my steps along the true path.
Don Juan still wants to change. He offers to live with Gonzalo and do everything he says to prove that he is a good man. He also offers to let Gonzalo monitor his estate and fortune. Once Gonzalo is convinced, he will marry Ines.
Don Gonzalo: Never. You her husband? Never! I’ll kill her first. Hand her over to me immediately or, unable to control myself, I’ll strike you dead in that vile pose.
Gonzalo refuses again and once again foreshadows Ines's death. He says he will kill her before allowing her to marry Don Juan, and the events that follow to lead to her death.
Don Juan: Consider well, Don Gonzalo, that you, perhaps, will make me lose my own salvation.
Don Juan sees Ines as his salvation. He loves her and believes that love can change him into a man worthy of God's grace.
Don Juan: And you, man without grace, who call me a vile thief, too, let this speak to show it’s true, I’ll destroy you face to face.
Don Juan kills both Luis and Gonzalo when the men refuse to forgive him. He shoots Gonzalo and stabs Luis rather than accepting the consequences of his prior actions.
Todos: Justice for Dona Ines.Dona Ines: But not against Don Juan.
Even after he kills her father, Ines does not want Don Juan hurt. This foreshadows her eventual bargain to save his soul.
Don Juan: I should explain, for years now I’ve been gone from Spain, and it shocked me, as I passed, as I reached these gates today to find this distinct, strange, entirely different change from when I went away.
When Don Juan returns to his family estate, he finds a place where all his victims were buried. He is shocked to see that his father did such a thing with his inheritance.
Sculptor: He left his entire property to the one who would fashion a wonderful pantheon to astound posterity. He made one condition that they should bury here those who died, in fear, at the cruel hand of his son.
The sculptor explains to Don Juan what happened to his estate. It is another reminder to Don Juan of the awful things he did, and the way it affected other people.
Don Juan: Don Juan’s only yearning was for Joy with Dona Ines, now, seeking her loveliness wretched Don Juan returns: see with what pain he burns, finding her tomb, his distress.
Even after five years, Don Juan still yearns for Ines. This shows that the love he felt for her was not something he faked to seduce her and trick her father.
Ines: I offered my soul to God, the fee for your impure soul, and yes, God, on seeing the tenderness with which I loved a man, said, “Wait then for Don Juan in your grave’s loneliness. And since you want to be loyal to the love of a son of Satan, you’ll be saved with Don Juan or be lost with him.”
Ines bargained with God so that Don Juan could be saved. Either he goes to Heaven with her or they will both be damned to Hell. Even though she appears to him, he does not believe that she is real at first and puts himself in danger of damnation.
Don Juan: But her statue was here to see. Yes, I saw it and touched it: even gave a trifling fee to the sculptor who carved it. Now there’s only the pedestal and the urn from her funeral.
Don Juan tries to convince himself that what he saw was not real. He does not believe that her spirit appeared, but it still haunts him when he goes to spend time with his friends. Even the statue disappearing does not convince him the apparition was real.
Don Gonzalo: God, in his holy mercy, still grants you time, I say Don Juan, till the new day to set your conscience free.
Don Gonzalo also appears to Don Juan. He tells him that he has only the night to unburden himself to God and ask for forgiveness. Even when he walks through a wall, Don Juan has a hard time accepting that the situation is real.
Don Juan: Holy God, I believe in You: may it be though my sins are mighty, I admit, that your mercy indeed be infinite . . . Lord, have mercy on me.
Don Juan is dying and is being dragged to Hell, and he recognizes that he can ask for forgiveness. Even with a minute of life left, he can ask to be forgiven and find salvation.
Dona Ines: I gave my soul for you, and God grants that it is true your despaired-of salvation. This is a mystery of creation no mortal may comprehend, and only in that life without end, the just shall understand that love has saved Don Juan before he could descend.
Don Juan goes with Dona Ines to Heaven just before he would have been damned. Her faith in him was rewarded with the saving of his soul and the two of them being able to spend eternity in Heaven together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the fact that the Americans are helping the Russians important?

In the late author Tom Clancy’s first novel, The Hunt for Red October, the assistance rendered to the Russians by the United States is impor...