Wednesday, November 12, 2014

How can the story "Two Kinds" be misunderstood? Please provide examples.

What an interesting question! There are certainly varied interpretations of the story, and many of us are drawn to the prevailing theme of mother-daughter conflict in it. However, we may also misunderstand the story by interpreting Tan's portrayal of the conflict as a definitive statement about the nature of Chinese American mother-daughter relationships. 
Certainly, the mother-daughter conflict in the story exposes stereotypical cultural biases. For example,

Soon after my mother got this idea about Shirley Temple, she took me to the beauty training school in the Mission District and put me in the hands of a student who could barely hold the scissors without shaking. Instead of getting big fat curls, I emerged with an uneven mass of crinkly black fuzz. My mother dragged me off to the bathroom and tried to wet down my hair. "You look like a Negro Chinese," she lamented, as if I had done this on purpose.

We cringe at the racial epithet used by Jing-mei's mother and instinctively wonder whether it is typical of mother-daughter interactions in Chinese American culture. In doing so, however, we may miss Tan's actual message: that the conflict between Jing-mei and her mother is universal in nature. The desire of the maturing child to distinguish herself from the maternal figure represents an ubiquitous, age-old longing for independence and autonomy. 
This longing transcends culture, language, and religion. Jing-mei's fear that she will never be good enough to merit her mother's approval represents our innate fear of irrelevance:

In all of my imaginings I was filled with a sense that I would soon become perfect: My mother and father would adore me. I would be beyond reproach. I would never feel the need to sulk, or to clamor for anything. But sometimes the prodigy in me became impatient. "If you don't hurry up and get me out of here, I'm disappearing for good," it warned. “And then you'll always be nothing."

In the story, Jing-mei's ego is pitted against her mother's. The conflict exposes the dual longings of our human nature: the desire for approval juxtaposed against the equal longing for personal agency. 
As a result, we may perceive the mother-daughter conflict in cultural terms but fail to understand the actual message of Tan's short story: that maternal-child conflict is universal and an inevitable aspect of the human experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the fact that the Americans are helping the Russians important?

In the late author Tom Clancy’s first novel, The Hunt for Red October, the assistance rendered to the Russians by the United States is impor...