Tuesday, August 18, 2015

How does Lady Capulet change during the play?

In my opinion, Lady Capulet is a fairly static character. For one thing, she isn't in the play all that much, so it's tough to see any kind of drastic character development within her. I think the best place to start looking at Lady Capulet is act 1, scene 3. Near the end of this scene, Lady Capulet asks Juliet what she thinks of marriage. Additionally, Lady Capulet specifically asks Juliet to give Paris some consideration as a future husband.

Tell me, daughter Juliet,
How stands your disposition to be married? . . .

Well, think of marriage now...
The valiant Paris seeks you for his love. . . .


What say you? Can you love the gentleman?
This night you shall behold him at our feast.
Read o'er the volume of young Paris' face
And find delight writ there with beauty’s pen.



Notice that Lady Capulet isn't forcing Juliet to do anything. It appears that she genuinely cares about what Juliet thinks. Lady Capulet has a mind to let Juliet be a part of choosing who her future husband is.

By act 3, scene 5, Lady Capulet no longer appears to show any consideration or care for what Juliet thinks about marrying Paris. Lord Capulet has already made the arrangements for Juliet to marry Paris in just a few days, and Juliet doesn't want anything to do with that marriage.


I pray you, tell my lord and father, madam,
I will not marry yet. And when I do, I swear
It shall be Romeo, whom you know I hate,
Rather than Paris.



Juliet would like her mother to intercede on her behalf and tell Lord Capulet. Instead of defending Juliet's wishes, Lady Capulet begins to distance herself from Juliet.


Here comes your father. Tell him so yourself,
And see how he will take it at your hands.



Juliet does tell her father, but he is not happy.


Hang thee, young baggage! Disobedient wretch!
I tell thee what: get thee to church o' Thursday,
Or never after look me in the face.



Lady Capulet does try to calm her husband down. However, she doesn't argue in favor of Juliet's wishes. By the time the scene ends, Lady Capulet makes it very clear that she is done worrying for and about Juliet. Juliet will do as she is told regardless of how Juliet feels about it. I'd say that is a definite change in Lady Capulet.


Talk not to me, for I’ll not speak a word.
Do as thou wilt, for I have done with thee.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the fact that the Americans are helping the Russians important?

In the late author Tom Clancy’s first novel, The Hunt for Red October, the assistance rendered to the Russians by the United States is impor...