Monday, April 25, 2016

How does Antonio feel as act 1, scene 1 opens in The Merchant of Venice?

Act 1, scene 1 of Shakespeare's The Merchant of Venice opens with Antonio telling Salarino exactly how he feels. Antonio is feeling sad and depressed.

In sooth, I know not why I am so sad.
It wearies me; you say it wearies you.
But how I caught it, found it, or came by it,
What stuff ’tis made of, whereof it is born,
I am to learn.
And such a want-wit sadness makes of me,
That I have much ado to know myself.

Antonio admits that he is feeling this way; however, he admits that he does not know why he is feeling this way. Salarino provides us with the answer. He says that Antonio is worried about the ships that he has out on the ocean. Antonio has a lot of money wrapped up in those ships, and he could be worried about their safety. He stands to make a lot of money if the ships safely make it to their destination; however, he stands to lose a lot of money if they are wrecked. Antonio responds by saying that isn't what has him worried, sad, and depressed. He's been smart with his money, so losing the ships won't ruin him entirely.


Believe me, no. I thank my fortune for it—
My ventures are not in one bottom trusted,
Nor to one place, nor is my whole estate
Upon the fortune of this present year.
Therefore my merchandise makes me not sad.



Then Solanio suggests that Antonio is sad about love, and Antonio denies that too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the fact that the Americans are helping the Russians important?

In the late author Tom Clancy’s first novel, The Hunt for Red October, the assistance rendered to the Russians by the United States is impor...