Saturday, March 10, 2012

Creon say what after wife and son die because of him?

After his son Haemon stabs himself to death, Creon immediately recognizes that it is his fault this has happened. But this tragic realization is too little, too late. His overweening pride in refusing to bury Polyneices has directly led to this awful moment. He enters the palace, cradling the bloody corpse of his son in his arms:

My own blind heart has brought me From darkness to final darkness. Here you see The father murdering, the murdered son—And all my civic wisdom! Haimon my son, so young, so young to die, I was the fool, not you; and you died for me. (Trans. Fitts and Fitzgerald).

But it gets worse for Creon. Not long after his return, a messenger enters to tell him of his wife's suicide. Eurydice killed herself after hearing of the death of Haemon. Before she plunged the dagger deep into her broken heart, she used her last breath to curse Creon for the great misfortune that has descended upon their family. Creon is utterly destroyed by the news. The sin of hubris has been punished by nemesis:

It is right that it should be. I alone am guilty. I know it, and I say it. Lead me in, quickly, friends. I have neither life nor substance. Lead me in. (Trans. Fitts and Fitzgerald).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the fact that the Americans are helping the Russians important?

In the late author Tom Clancy’s first novel, The Hunt for Red October, the assistance rendered to the Russians by the United States is impor...