Wednesday, September 10, 2014

What quotes describe Emerson's idea of individualism when talking about family?

In "Self-Reliance," Emerson places following one's inner guide above all else. He advises young people to break free of tradition and family, while still respecting family members.
He say he himself will not show disrespect to parents, children, or his wife and will do his best to care for them faithfully. Nevertheless, he won't do this in a way that violates his inner sense of calling. He writes:

Be it known unto you that henceforward I obey no law less than the eternal law. I will have no covenants but proximities. I shall endeavour to nourish my parents, to support my family, to be the chaste husband of one wife,--but these relations I must fill after a new and unprecedented way.

He goes on to explain what he means by fulfilling his family obligations in a new way. He writes:

I appeal from your customs. I must be myself. I cannot break myself any longer for you, or you. If you can love me for what I am, we shall be the happier. If you cannot, I will still seek to deserve that you should. I will not hide my tastes or aversions. I will so trust that what is deep is holy, that I will do strongly before the sun and moon whatever inly rejoices me, and the heart appoints.

He says he cannot "break" himself any more for them. This means he can't violate who he is inside because of family "customs" or his family's demand that he be something he is not. He will be dutiful and faithful to them, but only while being his true self. He writes about this with passionate conviction, hoping to persuade his readers that they can both be themselves and good family members—better, in fact, than if they had not followed their individual destinies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the fact that the Americans are helping the Russians important?

In the late author Tom Clancy’s first novel, The Hunt for Red October, the assistance rendered to the Russians by the United States is impor...