Thursday, February 28, 2013

What was Samson Occom's point of view in From a Short Narrative of My Life?

Samson Occom uses the first person point of view in his story.
The first person point of view lends immediacy to our reading experience. In the narrative, Occom speaks earnestly about his faith in God and his strong desire to educate the Native children entrusted to his care. He also relates with strong emotion his dismay at the treatment he received from the Church.

Now you See what difference they made between me and other missionaries; they gave me 180 Pounds for 12 years Service, which they gave for one years Services in another Mission, — In my Service (I speak like a fool, but I am Constrained) I was my own Interpreter. I both a School master and Minister to the Indians, yea I was their Ear, Eye & Hand, as Well as Mouth. . . what can be the Reason that they used me after this manner?

In the above quote, Occom tells us that he "speaks like a fool." He does not claim to be wiser than the Church leaders, and his humility is apparent. However, his distress is clear; he questions how the religious authorities could have treated a fellow Christian with such shameful disregard. The grave disparity in pay causes Occom great pain. 
He voices his anguish at being blamed for being "extravagant." His narrative is filled with earnest, powerful sentiments:

I Can’t Conceive how these gentlemen would have me Live. I am ready to (forgive) their Ignorance, and I would wish they had Changed Circumstances with me but one month, that they may know, by experience what my Case really was; but I am now fully convinced, that it was not Ignorance.

Through the first person point of view, Occom is able to focus our attention on the injustices he endured as an Indian missionary.
https://literarydevices.net/point-of-view/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the fact that the Americans are helping the Russians important?

In the late author Tom Clancy’s first novel, The Hunt for Red October, the assistance rendered to the Russians by the United States is impor...